The Real Food Babe Way!
A great “win” for her and the “Food Babe Army” for certain. She used the powers of spreading “facts” and public outcry to change the world!
Vani attributes the victory to a Change.org petition created a couple of years ago. From the petition:
Artificial food dyes…
– Are man-made in a lab with chemicals derived from petroleum (a crude oil product, which also happens to be used in gasoline, diesel fuel, asphalt, and tar).
– Require a warning label in other countries outside the US.
– Have been banned in countries like Norway and Austria (and are being phased out in the UK).
– Yellow 5 and Yellow 6 are contaminated with known carcinogens (a.k.a. an agent directly involved in causing cancer).
– Cause an increase in hyperactivity in children.
– Have a negative impact on children’s ability to learn.
– Have been linked to long-term health problems such as asthma, skin rashes, and migraines.
And damn you to hell if you ask them to cite a legitimate source.
So good for them, they should feel accomplished.
HOWEVER. There’s just one small problem here (outside of the fact that there’s no evidence supporting any sort of risk associated with the dyes in question). Vani Hari had nothing to do with it.
The packaged-food company, which also makes Oscar Mayer and Jell-O, said the revamped recipes aren’t a response to a petition on that asked it to remove artificial dyes from its famous macaroni and cheese kits.
Edit: Here’s a second source.
So here, I will propose The REAL Food Babe Way:
Step 1: Research what changes a food company is making. Especially if you can find a chemical that has dual uses, even better!
Step 2: Create a fear-based campaign where you misrepresent information.
Step 2a: Be sure to say “What about the children!?!?” at least four or five times.
Step 3: When the company proceeds with the changes they were already going to make, claim victory!
Step 4: Watch your influence grow based on people that don’t care to investigate facts.
Step 5: PROFIT! Get the people from Step 4 to buy Suja® juice or other Food Babe® endorsed product.